From: "Jc García" <jyo.garcia@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] using eclipse with java
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 16:47:44
1 2014-04-17 10:11 GMT-06:00 <gottlieb@×××.edu>:
2 > I am a CS prof at NYU, which uses Java for CS 101. I have taught this
3 > course a few times and have learned Java as a result. During my
4 > sabbatical year (a coincidence? :-) )the department decided to teach the
5 > eclipse IDE.
6 >
7 > I have never used an IDE so though i should try now instead of waiting
8 > until september.
9 >
10 > merging eclipse-ecj was painless and sure enough it does seem to compile
11 > my programs. It even noticed that I didn't close a scanner.
12 > I can still use javac if desired. Fine.
13
14 I am a CS student, and use eclipse for java projects, and I can say it
15 has some nice things to work java.
18 > I have not yet merged eclipse-sdk. Must I merge this? The only version
19 > in the main tree is masked and it brings in 83! packages.
22 The portage version of eclipse is old, I personally prefer to use the
23 binary tarball from eclipse.org( It doesn't worth it for me having to
24 compile a large old thing)
25
26 > Others in the dept (and students) praise the eclipse debugger. I don't
27 > see how I will be invoking it. Also what about the eclipse editor?
28 >
29 Well I got used to vim before using java and eclipse, so its editor in
30 my opinion sucks(after you have used a real editor), but fortunately
31 there is eclim, which lets you use your favorite editor(vim or emacs)
32 to code, and have acces to the nice features of eclipse, so it was the
33 option for me when coding java. (None of eclim's versions work with
34 the portage in-tree eclipse version, so another reason to use the
35 binary tarball)
36
37 > I guess, I need to be pointed at the right documentation. I went to
38 > wiki.eclipse.org but am not sure where to go to from here.
39 >
40 > thanks,
41 > allan
42 >
43 I don't really like IDEs nor java, and avoid it most of the time, so i
44 don't have much experience with it, but for a gentoo user who has been
45 around sometime, I would strongly recomend the combination
46 eclipse+eclim+your_editor, it would make you not hate the GUI, and get
47 the nice features.