From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can I suppress the bleep when shutting down?
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 10:22:19
1 Hello, Mick.
2
3 On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 10:55:29AM +0100, Mick wrote:
4 > On Wednesday 21 Oct 2015 10:03:42 Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 > > On Tuesday 20 October 2015 19:22:12 Alan McKinnon wrote:
6 > > > Where is the beep coming from?
7
8 > > > Real speakers (like where music comes out) - check Alerts &
9 > > > Notifications or similar in your DE.
10
11 > > > That silly monotone speaker that can only make bing noises and has been
12 > > > in pc's since the first one?
13
14 > > Am I unusual in not having such a speaker in either of my boxes?
15
16 > No, modern PCs don't always have an internal speaker fitted, although the
17 > MoBos have terminals to connect a piezoelectric speaker to. They are/were
18 > useful for BIOS error messages, but I am not sure if modern UEFI firmware
19 > produces error code beeps when things go wrong - I haven't fitted a speaker to
20 > mine.
21
22 My 6 year old motherboard, according to its documentation (I've never
23 tried it out), produces a code of beeps when it detects errors such as no
24 keyboard being found at boot up. I think no monitor being found also
25 produces a beep code. A loudspeaker in the box is the _only_ way a
26 motherboard has of reporting such errors.
27
28 "Modern" UEFI firmware not reporting such errors, if such be the case,
29 would be one of the reasons for me to depise UEFI as I do. Why do I need
30 UEFI? A traditional BIOS can boot my machine just fine, and the sole
31 purpose of UEFI seems to be to prevent OS's which aren't Microsoft
32 Windows from booting, and to brick certain Samsung laptops.
33
34 Indeed, on The Register the other day, in a comments sections, somebody
35 described how he had a dual boot GNU/Linux Windows setup, and after a
36 Windows update, the GNU/Linux wouldn't boot at all. He suspected that
37 the Windows update had tampered with the UEFI CMOS settings somehow.
38
39 Do modern motherboards still allow you the option of running under the
40 traditional BIOS? I've not seen this mentioned in any of the motherboard
41 descriptions recently.
42
43 > --
44 > Regards,