From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] unkillable processes
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 16:32:44
1 On 11/28/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > My wife ran into a problem this evening that required I do a
4 > reboot. She runs Gnome. Sometimes something about her setup goes
5 > haywire and she loses all her desktop icons and her wallpaper. In the
6 > past I've found that if we log her out and then in the console kill
7 > all processes left running with her account as the owner that she can
8 > then log back in and use Gnome correctly.
9 >
10 > This evening one of these processes was unkillable. I tried
11 >
12 > kill -15 PID
13 > kill -9 PID
14 > killall -9 process_name
15 >
16 > but none worked. To make forward progress I just rebooted.
17 >
18 > Is there some other way I could have tried killing this process?
19 >
20 > Thanks,
21 > Mark
22
23 The times this has happened to my I used htop to send a SIGSEGV to
24 make the program think it segfaulted and that caused the program to
25 die. Its probably a horribly sloppy hack but it has worked for me in
26 the past.
27
28 -Mike
32 Michael E. Crute
33 Software Developer
34 SoftGroup Development Corporation
35
36 Linux takes junk and turns it into something useful.
37 Windows takes something useful and turns it into junk.
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list