From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub2 and is the upgrade a tooth puller.
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 12:11:05
1 On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 5:50 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Mike Gilbert wrote:
4 >> Thanks for "announcing" this Dale. grub-2.00 is in ~arch as of last night.
5 >>
6 >> Given your current naming scheme, grub2-mkconfig will not detect your
7 >> kernels. They must be named vmlinuz-version or kernel-version. For
8 >> example:
9 >>
10 >> /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.3
11 >> /boot/kernel-2.6.39-gentoo
12 >>
13 >> Your initramfs files look good.
14 >>
15 >> Space wise, grub needs a couple hundred sectors after your MBR to
16 >> embed itself. If you used the default fdisk setting when you
17 >> partitioned your drive, you should have 2047 free sectors that it can
18 >> use.
19 >>
20 >> If you have your kernels named properly and some free sectors on your
21 >> hard drive, setting up grub:2 is a very easy process. See the wiki
22 >> page for more info.
23 >>
24 >> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start
28 > Thanks.  Now more questions.  I have read about this a few times but
29 > never quite figured it out.  I copy the bzImage and name it bzImage-*
30 > because that is what it is named when I type make etc to build a
31 > kernel.  Is there a difference between bzImage and vmlinux?  If it is,
32 > is it safe to rename it like that or will it break something?  If I need
33 > a vmlinux kernel instead of a bzImage, where is that thing?  I have
34 > looked and I don't have one on mine here.  Maybe I am missing
35 > something.  Google didn't find me anything either.
36
37 AFAIK, you should be fine renaming bzImage to vmlinuz. (Note the z.
38 It's vmlinuz, not vmlinux")
41 :wq