From: Ognjen Bezanov <ognjen@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] App/plugin to play CD?
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 22:29:30
1 On Monday 08 May 2006 15:38, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 > Mattias Merilai wrote:
3 > > Daniel da Veiga wrote:
4 > >> Stéfan is right, you need an analog audio cable connecting your CD
5 > >> drive to your soundcard (or, if your soundcard support it, a digital
6 > >> one). Else the drive can't send audio to your speakers.
7 > >
8 > > "The other o/s" can send audio to the soundcard via the system bus.
9 > > Anybody knows if and when is this going to happen on the good o/s too?
10 >
11 > I don't think you need that silly cable. My understanding was that the
12 > audio cable connected to you sound card was for when you wanted to
13 > listen to the cd and your computer was in "low-power mode" Either way, I
14 > have stopped installing that cable on new computers that I build and it
15 > has always worked fine for me.
16 >
17 No you do not. XMMS can use "audio out" (ie plug the CDROM Audio cable into
18 the soundcard) or DAE (Digital audio extraction), where it reads the cdrom
19 drive as if its raw data, and does the conversion to sound in software. This
20 results in the "audio over bus" that the original poster pointed out.
21
22 To do this. you need to install an xmms-plugin (they did not come with my xmms
23 version). There are two of them in portage to my knowledge:
24
25 "AudioCD Reader" : libcdread.so
26 "CD Audio Player" : libcdaudio.so
27
28 Out of the two, I use CD Audio Player, because it has more features, such as
29 Multiple CD-ROM support. This allows me to plugin in external CD-ROM's (such
30 as USB CD-ROMS, and SCSI CD-ROMs/CD changers) and use them to play audio CD's
31
32 Note that in both drivers, you need to state you want to use DAE rather then
33 the old analog method (this is due to the fact that not all CD-ROM's have
34 good DAE capabilities). Under "CD Audio Player", you need to set "Play mode"
35 to "Digital audio extraction", along with configuring/checking your drive.
36
37 In portage they are called:
38
39 "media-plugins/xmms-cdaudio" => "CD Audio Player"
40 and
41 "media-plugins/xmms-cdread" => "AudioCD Reader"
42
43 emerge one of them, restart xmms, and you're set ;)
46 Happy listening!
49 http://ziva-vatra.dnsalias.com/~ognen
55 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list