From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT virtual stuff] gentoo vm appliance
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 00:13:44
1 On Wednesday, June 22 at 16:52 (-0500), Harry Putnam said:
2
3 > The times I've tried to get a recent gentoo version running in a vm on
4 > windows turned out to be labor taking days to get right.
5 >
6 > Does anyone know if there is a fairly current gentoo appliance
7 > somewhere that I can just install and then update or customize?
8 >
9 > I'd prefer to run it with vbox but if the appliance is vmware created
10 > that's ok too. I do have a license up to 6.5.
11 >
12 > If that isn't available maybe someone has a fairly current kernel
13 > config that is known to boot on a windows host with guest gentoo.
14 >
15 > As I recall from my efforts, there were always problems with something
16 > to do with scuzzi drivers or whatnot.
17
18 I have a program that I use to create Gentoo VM appliances. I have no
19 idea if it works with vbox or vmware as I run KVM, but I think it
20 *should* work. Anyway if you want to try it you can or, if you want, it
21 also builds stage4 tarballs, so I can build you a stage4 tarball of a
22 base Gentoo install pretty easily (including kernel). The stage4
23 (excluding portage) would be ~90MB (bz2). The disk image (compressed
24 QCOW is about 120MB).