From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] This nite's switch to "full multilib"
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 09:23:43
1 On Monday 30 Mar 2015 09:58:37 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > On 30.03.2015 00:51, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > >> I like Gentoo, you all know, but things like that scare me off a bit.
4 > >
5 > > This is Gentoo, it's all about choice. Sometimes there's a downside,
6 > > like a very long package.use to define to Portage exactly what your
7 > > choice really is.
8 >
9 > I don't really know what to decide here ....
10
11 Portage ought to ask you to add abi_x86_32 in package.use for the packages
12 that need it.
15 > > Setting the flag globally is covered in today's news item on the matter,
16 > > so I assume the devs are supporting it
17 >
18 > Did that now, yes ...
19
20 Hmm ... I don't think setting abi_x86_32 globally is necessary, unless you
21 want to have 32bit libs for ALL packages that these exist for, whether you use
22 them or not. I mean that for Skype you have no alternative at present, but if
23 you don't use Skype then you would not need the 32bit versions of Skype's
24 dependencies. If my understanding is wrong, Alan will soon put me right on
25 this. :-)
28 Regards,
29 Mick