From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE4: Constant crashes in conjunction with Konsole
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 19:03:16
1 On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 6:34 PM, Frank Steinmetzger<Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi guys,
3 >
4 > until now I've been quite a KDE4 hater, but I'm willing to give it a try from
5 > time to time. So I installed 4.3 parallel to my beloved 3.5.10 and was quite
6 > pleased with it. However, I have repeating crashes of my entire X. Mostly it
7 > happens when I open Konsole, the next often occasion is opening a menu (main
8 > menu, context menu, you name it), but also only after a Konsole windows was
9 > opened. All I see is a quick error message about glibc, then X restarts and
10 > I'm back at kdm.
11
12 I had Konsole-related crashes and other weirdness when I first
13 switched to KDE4. It turned out to be related to fonts! I installed
14 DejaVu fonts and used them for everything in KDE's font config, and in
15 Konsole I'm using "Fixed [ETL]" size 10 (I'm not sure which package
16 that came from, but I think it's one of the core Xorg fonts).
17
18 It probably has nothing to do with your problem but I figured I would
19 mention it just in case.