From: Hendrik Boom <hendrik@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Installation problems
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 11:23:45
1 On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 14:49:45 -0700, ds wrote:
2
3 > On 7/13/07, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> A few months ago I tried installing gentoo. It mostly succeedes, but I
5 >> was unable to boot the new system.
6 >>
7 >> When I boot, it fails as follows:
8 >>
9 >> >> Activating mdev
10 >> >> Determining root device
11 >> !! Block device /dev/mapper/lovesong-gentoo is not a valid block device
12 >> !! The root block device is unspecified or not detected
13 >> Please specify a device to boot, or "shell" for a shell
14 >> boot() ::
17 >> Now I originally installed this system using a chroot from a Debian etch
18 >> system. I used genkernel to generate the kernel. As far as I can
19 >> remember, I did specified the --lvm option.
20 >>
21 >> Now perhaps the kernel is not OK because I ran genkernel in a chroot
22 >> running on a Debian kernel...
23 >>
24 >> Perhaps I chose the wront options...
25 >>
26 >> Perhaps I can fix things by rerunning genkernel with different options...
27 >>
28 >> Or perhaps I need to start all over from a full-fledged gentoo install CD.
29 >>
30 >> Please advise.
31 >>
32 >> -- hendrik
33 >>
34 >> P.S. Some Gory Details:
35 >
36 > hendrik -
37 >
38 > My gut reaction is that you should just start over and install from
39 > scratch. I have only installed Gentoo by booting from the Gentoo
40 > install CD in the past, so I'm not familiar with using chroot from a
41 > Debian system. I think the best and most well documented way to do a
42 > Gentoo install is to simply follow the handbook
43 > (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml).
44
45 That's what I was doing, except that I chrooted from Debian instead of
46 from the gentoo boot disk. I suspect the difference is that I was running
47 a Debian kernel when running genkernel; if genkernel asks the running
48 kernel what options it was compiled with (which I believe it does), it
49 may not have gotten the information it needed.
52 > It is very easy to install Gentoo along with other OS's. You just need
53 > to have a partition or two handy. In my case, when I'm rebuilding my
54 > system from scratch I've always installed Gentoo third (Windows XP
55 > first, openSUSE second, then Gentoo). I use two partitions for Gentoo,
56 > a /boot partition and a / partition, and I use the swap partition that
57 > was created for openSUSE for Gentoo as well. Then, I don't install grub
58 > in Gentoo, I simply add a Gentoo entry to the grub menu in openSUSE.
59 >
60 > I haven't personally used LVM with Gentoo, but I have set up an Ubuntu
61 > Server box with LVM and my experience is that it is best not to bother
62 > with LVM unless you really know you're going to need it. In any case,
63 > the documentation I was following for Ubuntu required at least the /boot
64 > partition be non-LVM for grub to read the kernel off of it, but this may
65 > be due to a lack of knowledge in the workings of grub and LVM.
66
67 LVM works fine with Debian. I figure I just need to learn what to do to
68 gentoo that Debian does automatically. And you're right. Booting from
69 the installation disk will probably help. It shouldn't be necessary, but
70 I certainly will try it.
71
72 I do expect to need LVM. Lack of flexibility in partition resizing was the
73 big problem with my previous set of OS installations on this machine (with
74 a smaller hard disk).
75
76 I suspect the problem with the kernel I'm using is that in some way it
77 does not properly recognize lvm -- perhaps because something isn't
78 compiled in, or because it needs an option to trigger it to look for lvm
79 volumes. My /boot partition is an ordinary partition. It's my /
80 partition that's LVM.
81
82 Debian etch is set up in the same way, with an ordinary secondary
83 partition for /boot, and an LVM for /.
84
85 (Users' home directories are on another machine entirely; will be mounted
86 using NFS.)
87
88 -- hendrik
91 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list