From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: aligning SSD partitions
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 12:39:53
1 On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 7:13 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
4 > > The 07/09/12, Dale wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> The thing is tho, whether it is using the memory as cache or using it
7 > >> as
8 > >> tmpfs, it is the same memory. There is no difference. That's the
9 > >> whole
10 > >> point.
11 > > Feel free to take your own assumptions as undeniable truth. The way the
12 > > kernel work with memory is the key, of course.
13 > >
14 > > Now, as long as you blind yourself with statements like that, I'm not
15 > > going to respond anymore. I guess you need to make some basic research.
18 > I understand how the kernel uses memory. That's why it doesn't matter
19 > if you put portage's work directory on tmpfs or not. I been using Linux
20 > for a pretty good long while now. I have a pretty good understanding of
21 > it, especially the things that I use.
22 >
23 > Respond or not, I know what I tested and what the results were. They
24 > were not just my tests and results either.
27 Nobody is disagreeing with your test results. In fact, they're not even
28 disagreeing with you that they mean what you think they mean within the
29 context you're testing. They're disagreeing with your extrapolation of your
30 results to other contexts. In short, all other things being equal, your
31 test results work out for someone in the exact same circumstances as
32 yourself...but there are a _lot_ of other things that need to be equal!
33
34 Filesystem mount options can have an impact. For example, let's say your
35 filesystem is configured to make writes synchronous, for general data
36 integrity purposes. That would slow PORTAGE_TMP down something _fierce_.
37
38 Someone might be tweaking any number of the knobs under 'vm' in /proc.
39 vm.swappiness, vm.dirty_* or vm.min_free_kbytes are ones that caught my
40 eye, but really most of them in there look relevant.
41
42 Or consider that someone else might be running drop_caches, or even sync()
43 while your code is running. (Heck, if there's a database, even an sqlite
44 database, on the same filesystem, that's almost a guarantee.)
45
46 These may seem to be obvious, but these are the kinds of things people were
47 trying to get you to be willing to acknowledge before you made blanket
48 assertions which covered them.
51 :wq