From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and Thunderbird compile issue
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2018 08:29:25
1 (Nuno Silva) wrote:
2 > On 2018-11-18, Daniel Frey wrote:
3 > [...]
4 >> It's really unfortunate that on massive builds distcc is not an option.
5 >> Maybe I should consider -bin instead.
6 > If you do happen to have a more powerful machine running Gentoo on a
7 > compatible architecture[1], you could also try Gentoo binary packages
8 > (that is, not -bin, but binary packages made from www-client/firefox and
9 > mail-client/thunderbird on that machine, either automatically with
10 > FEATURES=buildpkg, or manually using quickpkg or emerge --buildpkg).
11 >
12 > [1] I guess it should also be possible to cross-compile, but that will
13 > require additional steps, with which I am not acquainted.
14 >
15 > Do you know Seamonkey? If you like it and it works for everything you
16 > use Firefox and Thunderbird with, another idea to consider would be
17 > replacing Firefox and Thunderbird with Seamonkey Navigator and Seamonkey
18 > Mail&News. That way, it would be "just" one massive build instead of
19 > two.
22 I looked at the build times of both Firefox and Seamonkey, they both
23 average out to about the same.  For me here, about 1.5 hours.  Of
24 course, it varies a bit but that's a rough average.  While genlop -t
25 shows compile times, it doesn't average them out.  It's just rough in my
26 head quick math.  ;-)  I agree that Seamonkey may be a good option for
27 Daniel.
28
29 I use Seamonkey for my email and some web browsing.  While the new
30 Firefox has some advantages in some areas, Seamonkey does work well.  I
31 have both installed here.
32
33 Dale
34
35 :-)  :-)
36
37 P. S.  For those who keep up with my slow upgrades.  I just ordered a
38 FX-8350 CPU and 32GBs of ram.  The new Firefox with Content Process set
39 to 4 would use all my memory and cause my system to crash, reboot
40 actually.  I had to go back to one.  With the new 32GBs of ram, I hope
41 to be able to set it to 2, 3 or maybe 4.  For what I do, I think 2 would
42 be enough.  They should be here in a few days.  Sort of dread putting
43 the CPU in.  Always concerned something could go sideways.  :/  Old
44 parts will go on a older mobo I have.  It may turn into a server for all
45 those hard drives I need to have.  lol