From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Picking out a printer. Questions.
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2019 21:43:15
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2019-04-26, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> P. S.  Is there anything special I should do to make sure no one can
5 >> access my printer over the internet and do something bad?  Does the DSL
6 >> modem and router protect that by default?
7 > All the DSL modems I've ever seen were also NAT/router/firewalls, if
8 > that's the case, you should be OK. It's _possible_ your modem is a
9 > bridge not a router/firewall. If that's the case, then you
10 > _really_need_ to get a NAT/router/firewall to put between you modem
11 > and everything else on your network.
12 >
13 > --
14 > Grant
17 I do have a router, that's what the printer is connected too.  I can't
18 recall what it is called but remember the DSL modem is supposed to be
19 pretty secure on its own.  I think it can work in bridge mode or
20 router/whatever mode.  Now that I think about it, it's in router or
21 whatever mode because the login and password goes in the router if I put
22 the modem in bridge mode.  I put the router in for two reasons.  One,
23 sometimes I have a 2nd puter that needs internet access, usually when I
24 am working on someone else's puter.  2nd, it adds another layer of
25 security, I would hope anyway.  I've been using this for a good long
26 time and nothing weird has happened, yet anyway.  If my DVD tray starts
27 sliding in and out, that may require attention.  lol
28
29 I went to a website and got it to test my stuff once.  It said it was
30 secure.  It's been a while tho.
31
32 Dale
33