From: Manuel McLure <manuel@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Picking out a printer. Questions.
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2019 23:01:33
1 On Sat, Apr 27, 2019 at 2:43 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I do have a router, that's what the printer is connected too. I can't
4 > recall what it is called but remember the DSL modem is supposed to be
5 > pretty secure on its own. I think it can work in bridge mode or
6 > router/whatever mode. Now that I think about it, it's in router or
7 > whatever mode because the login and password goes in the router if I put
8 > the modem in bridge mode. I put the router in for two reasons. One,
9 > sometimes I have a 2nd puter that needs internet access, usually when I
10 > am working on someone else's puter. 2nd, it adds another layer of
11 > security, I would hope anyway. I've been using this for a good long
12 > time and nothing weird has happened, yet anyway. If my DVD tray starts
13 > sliding in and out, that may require attention. lol
14 >
15 > I went to a website and got it to test my stuff once. It said it was
16 > secure. It's been a while tho.
19 Given the fact that your printer got a 192.168.XXX.XXX address, I would say
20 there's a 99.999% chance that your router/modem is doing NAT and you don't
21 have to worry about it.
22 --
23 Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel@××××××.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
24 ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,
25 no man may kill a cat. -- H.P. Lovecraft