From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Picking out a printer. Questions.
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2019 23:37:39
1 Manuel McLure wrote:
4 > On Sat, Apr 27, 2019 at 2:43 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
5 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 >
7 > I do have a router, that's what the printer is connected too.  I can't
8 > recall what it is called but remember the DSL modem is supposed to be
9 > pretty secure on its own.  I think it can work in bridge mode or
10 > router/whatever mode.  Now that I think about it, it's in router or
11 > whatever mode because the login and password goes in the router if
12 > I put
13 > the modem in bridge mode.  I put the router in for two reasons.  One,
14 > sometimes I have a 2nd puter that needs internet access, usually
15 > when I
16 > am working on someone else's puter.  2nd, it adds another layer of
17 > security, I would hope anyway.  I've been using this for a good long
18 > time and nothing weird has happened, yet anyway.  If my DVD tray
19 > starts
20 > sliding in and out, that may require attention.  lol
21 >
22 > I went to a website and got it to test my stuff once.  It said it was
23 > secure.  It's been a while tho.
26 > Given the fact that your printer got a 192.168.XXX.XXX address, I
27 > would say there's a 99.999% chance that your router/modem is doing NAT
28 > and you don't have to worry about it.
29 > --
30 > Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel@××××××.org <mailto:manuel@××××××.org>>
31 > <http://www.mclure.org>
32 > ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,
33 > no man may kill a cat.                       -- H.P. Lovecraft
36 I'm no networking guru by any stretch, I'm sure others would agree with
37 that, but that's my thinking.  After all, if you have a printer with the
38 same IP, how would it know mine from yours unless it is local only?
39 From my understanding, 192.168.*.* addresses are always local only IPs.
40
41 The worst thing that could happen is someone prints stuff until it runs
42 out of paper if I'm not here or I cut it off if I am here and notice it
43 printing something that isn't mine.  Surely that printer can't be used
44 for much else.
45
46 Now to go find those mount and chroot commands for rescuing a failed
47 Gentoo install and getting those printed out.  I been wanting the
48 updated version of that for years now.
49
50 Dale
51