From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OFF TOPIC, sort of. Playing DVDs in DVD players and DVD disc type
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 18:34:35
1 On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 11:19 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I'm about to make some DVDs to be played in a DVD player, not computer
5 > but for TV. I have been using DVD+R and they work fine. I've made
6 > quite a few of them. My friend bought another spindle of 100 that are
7 > DVD-R. Note the difference of + and - there. I suspect it will play
8 > fine but I don't want to open the spindle, burn a few, find out it
9 > doesn't play and be stuck with DVD discs, at least 90 or so more, that
10 > are basically of no use. If it won't work, I'd rather him swap them out
11 > now and get what we know works instead of getting stuck.
12 >
13 > I'm using DeVeDe 3.23.0 software to create the DVD and K3b to burn
14 > them. I think Devede creates a ISO image for K3b to burn if that helps
15 > any. It's been a while since I made a DVD.
16 >
17 > I'm pretty sure they bought their DVD player just a few years ago. Will
18 > DVD-Rs play the same as DVD+R in modern ones or are they still picky?
19 >
20 > Oh, the only DVD player I have is my puter so I'm not going to claim I
21 > know them things real well. ;-)
22 >
23 > Thanks.
24 >
25 > Dale
26 >
27 > :-) :-)
30 Hi Dale,
31 It TOTALLY depends on the DVD player. Different players, different
32 specs. My input is check the specs. You can burn 1 or 2 and try, but
33 if the player isn't spec'ed for DVD-R then it might work today but be
34 flaky tomorrow.
35
36 BTW - I recently moved my wife's laptop off of Gentoo replacing it
37 with Kubuntu. Only reason I bring it up is I bought a package of DVD+R
38 to burn some boot DVDs and found her machine (and my mom's which is
39 the same Asus G73JW model) won't read DVD+R but works fine with DVD-R.
40 Sadly, I'll be switching my main machine away from Gentoo after now
41 close to 17 years of using nothing but Gentoo. That's a long run
42 having started in 2002/2003. My machine has no trouble with either
43 type.
44
45 Anyway, good luck.
46