From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OFF TOPIC, sort of. Playing DVDs in DVD players and DVD disc type
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 18:47:32
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 11:19 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> I'm about to make some DVDs to be played in a DVD player, not computer
6 >> but for TV. I have been using DVD+R and they work fine. I've made
7 >> quite a few of them. My friend bought another spindle of 100 that are
8 >> DVD-R. Note the difference of + and - there. I suspect it will play
9 >> fine but I don't want to open the spindle, burn a few, find out it
10 >> doesn't play and be stuck with DVD discs, at least 90 or so more, that
11 >> are basically of no use. If it won't work, I'd rather him swap them out
12 >> now and get what we know works instead of getting stuck.
13 >>
14 >> I'm using DeVeDe 3.23.0 software to create the DVD and K3b to burn
15 >> them. I think Devede creates a ISO image for K3b to burn if that helps
16 >> any. It's been a while since I made a DVD.
17 >>
18 >> I'm pretty sure they bought their DVD player just a few years ago. Will
19 >> DVD-Rs play the same as DVD+R in modern ones or are they still picky?
20 >>
21 >> Oh, the only DVD player I have is my puter so I'm not going to claim I
22 >> know them things real well. ;-)
23 >>
24 >> Thanks.
25 >>
26 >> Dale
27 >>
28 >> :-) :-)
29 >>
30 > Hi Dale,
31 > It TOTALLY depends on the DVD player. Different players, different
32 > specs. My input is check the specs. You can burn 1 or 2 and try, but
33 > if the player isn't spec'ed for DVD-R then it might work today but be
34 > flaky tomorrow.
35 >
36 > BTW - I recently moved my wife's laptop off of Gentoo replacing it
37 > with Kubuntu. Only reason I bring it up is I bought a package of DVD+R
38 > to burn some boot DVDs and found her machine (and my mom's which is
39 > the same Asus G73JW model) won't read DVD+R but works fine with DVD-R.
40 > Sadly, I'll be switching my main machine away from Gentoo after now
41 > close to 17 years of using nothing but Gentoo. That's a long run
42 > having started in 2002/2003. My machine has no trouble with either
43 > type.
44 >
45 > Anyway, good luck.
46 >
47 > Mark
52 That's what I was afraid of.  I'm going to go up to my friends in a bit,
53 to look at deer pics from our trail cameras, and I'll get the brand and
54 model and do some googling, startpaging for me.  I was hoping that
55 modern ones would 'Just Work' but I guess they are still picky.
56
57 I've been using Gentoo since about that time too.  While I'm not opposed
58 to switching to something else, I'm not really wanting to either.  ;-)
59
60 Thanks for the info.
61
62 Dale