From: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 21:38:11
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 19:30:05 +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
4 >
5 > > > The licensing conflict means that would not be possible. You have the
6 > > > install the kernel source and then merge in the ZFS source yourself,
7 > > > it can't be done for you and distributed.
8 > >
9 > > Why do you believe this?
10 > >
11 > > ZFS id doubtlessly an own "work" independent from the rest of the Linux
12 > > kernel and for this reason, adding ZFS just creates a collective work
13 > > that is not affected by the GPL.
14 >
15 > But the CCDL licence of ZFS precludes its being distributed with the
16 > kernel. At least, that's how I understand it and the fact that no distro
17 > distributes a ZFS-enabled kernel makes me believe it is true.
18
19 Did you ever read the CDDL?
20
21 People who believe that there is a problem use a wrong interpretation of the
22 GPL. The CDDL definitely does not prevent combinations with other software.
23
24 Jörg
27 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
28 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)