From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Can't boot btrfs
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 09:36:04
1 Hello list,
2
3 I've created a new btrfs volume on SSDs, complete with a lot of subvolumes
4 corresponding to the old lvm2 logical volumes. I took the opportunity of
5 removing a couple of old partitions, so I now have this:
6
7 /dev/sd[ab]1 form /dev/md1 as /boot,
8 /dev/sd[ab]2 are my rescue system: sda2 is its root, sdb2 is its portage tree,
9 /dev/sd[ab]3 is the btrfs file system.
10
11 I can boot my rescue system with no problems, but not the main system - I get
12 a kernel panic with "BTRFS: failed to read the system array on sda3". I'm
13 writing this after chroot, su - prh, startx.
14
15 Both in the main and rescue systems I have this:
16 $ grep -i btrfs /usr/src/linux/.config
17 CONFIG_BTRFS_FS=y
18 CONFIG_BTRFS_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
19 # CONFIG_BTRFS_FS_CHECK_INTEGRITY is not set
20 # CONFIG_BTRFS_FS_RUN_SANITY_TESTS is not set
21 # CONFIG_BTRFS_DEBUG is not set
22 # CONFIG_BTRFS_ASSERT is not set
23
24 The relevant grub.cfg entries (I've moved to grub-2) are:
25
26 menuentry 'Gentoo Linux 4.0.5, no network' {
27 linux /boot/kernel-x86_64-4.0.5-gentoo root=/dev/sda3 softlevel=nonet
28 net.ifnames=0 irqpoll
29 }
30 menuentry 'Rescue System 4.0.5' {
31 linux /boot/kernel-x86_64-4.0.5-gentoo-rescue root=/dev/sda2
32 net.ifnames=0 irqpoll
33 }
34
35 Something seemed to be wrong in the kernel setup, so to test that I compiled
36 the main kernel with the .config from the rescue system. Same result.
37
38 Another test: I wondered whether, somehow, the btrfs volume included the name
39 of the mount point where it had been created, and would only allow itself to
40 be mounted there. Not so: moving its mount point in the rescue system didn't
41 prevent it from being mounted. I didn't expect it would, since the kernel
42 panic occurs long before fstab is read.
43
44 The other thing I've tried is to build an initramfs with dracut. I tried to
45 include its btrfs module but it refused because it couldn't find a command
46 btrfs. So I recompiled the kernel with btrfs as a module and added
47 'filesystems+="btrfs" ' into dracut.conf. Still no success.
48
49 After a few days of floundering around, copious googling and getting splinters
50 under my fingernails I'm out of ideas. Can anyone see what else I can try? I
51 created the btrfs with "mkfs.btrfs -m raid1 -d raid1 --label GENTOO /dev/sda3
52 /dev/sdb3". I've done that twice, with all the subvolume creation and backup
53 recovery, the second time with --force.
56 Rgds
57 Peter