From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT: cheap "make yourself" server: i7-950 or phenom 1100T?
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 18:04:52
1 Hi,
2
3 a friend of mine asked me to prepare a small server for him.
4 Unfortunatelly he can not afford to buy brand-name server so
5 he asked me to build one for him, from "consumer" components
6 (yes, I already warned him about "zero-support" consequences).
7 It should be some kind of "multi-purpose" server (web, ftp,
8 mail, dns, virtualisation, etc). His budget is ~600-700€ (for
9 cpu, mobo, ram), and he wants the best value for the money...
10
11 Now, the crucial decision is what cpu (&mobo) I should use:
12
13 A: Intel Core i7-950, 4x 3.06GHz (4 cores, + hyper-threading)
14 B: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition, 6x 3.30GHz (6 cores)
15
16 Is it better to use phenom with 6 true cores, or i7 with
17 4 real and 4 "fake" cores (hyper-threading)? Concerning price,
18 there is no difference, both of the above mentioned cpus cost
19 ~250€ here in Europe.
20
21 btw, mobos for phenom have up to 4x dimm, while mobos for
22 core-i7 can have up to 6x dimm (that might be a valid point,
23 he is going to need a lot of memory).
24
25 So what should I pick for him? i7-950, or phenom-1100t?
26 Or yet some cheap 4/6-core opteron 4xxx/6xxx?
27
28 Jarry
32 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
33 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.