From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about making a tarball
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 09:25:48
1 On 30 Apr 2009, at 20:44, Dale wrote:
2
3 > I try to keep a "up to date" stage 4 tarball here in my system just in
4 > case. I basically did the creation just like I would if I were booted
5 > from the CD. I created /mnt/gentoo/ on my system, extracted a stage 3
6 > there, then chroot in and create a stage 4 tarball.
7
8 I don't understand how this creates a stage4 of your system.
9
10 How EXACTLY are you creating the stage4, please? What guide are you
11 following?
12
13 When I have in the past created a backup stage4 (which I have to admit
14 I've never needed to test), I have used a stage4.exclude file like
15 that described at [1], then used the tar command specified there.
16
17 <insert s-tar comment or joke here>
18
19 Either I'm confused, or I expect the remainder of the thread to be
20 confused because the basic premise of what you're trying to do has not
21 been clearly defined.
22
23 Stroller.
27 [1] http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Custom_Stage4#The_TAR_system