From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: no keyboard on fresh install
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 19:47:22
1 Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On 1 June 2012, at 09:33, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >> ...
5 >> I am running thru a kvm switch, but don't really have the option
6 >> without a fair bit of juggling to try it with everything hooked
7 >> direct. I have tried plugging a keyboard direct, with no result.
8 >
9 > I don't really understand. You can't try direct, you tried direct. Which?
10 >
11 > KVMs are just flakey sometimes.
12
13 Perhaps if you consider that KVM is a switch that controls several
14 components, (keyboard, Video and mouse) it will come to you.
15
16 You are at liberty to plug a second keyboard into a USB port. I have
17 done that under certain condition in the past and did try that
18 unsuccessfully, as reported, this time.
21 > As discussed at:
22 > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/223068
23 > http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/252806
26 I'm not buying the idea that flakyness rules with KVM. There may be
27 flakyness BUT based on my own experience of yrs of KVM use running
28 gentoo, debian and few tries at a few other distros... always with a
29 kvm, and currently am running debian on one of the other kvm boxes on
30 my current setup.
31
32 I should be quite a good test case. Someone, not all that bright, nor
33 very competent and yet I've been able to run linux, windows and
34 solaris all on various KVMS for a period of several yrs.... I'd guess
35 at least 7 yrs.
36
37 There were problems from time to time but none that prevented me
38 continuing to run with a KVM after a pause, sometimes a good one
39 to get things working.
40
41 > I'm inclined to agree with Hinnerk - if the keyboard is recognised
42 > by BIOS then it's Linux problem
43
44 I hope so too, that would be nice.
47 > However, if you're having keyboard, video or mouse problems and a KVM
48 > is in the chain then you *always* remove it as the first step.
49
50 No that is not the case. As indicated in OP, there is NO mouse
51 trouble.
52
53 > Don't come to us saying "I have this problem and just to confuse the
54 > issue it could be the KVM" (something we're unable to help with),
55 > instead say "I originally tried with a KVM, but having removed it,
56 > that makes no difference".
57
58 I guess you've been elected to the post of Sargent at arms in my
59 absence.
60
61 I'm sorry Mr. Sargent but I guess you'll have to evict me. I will
62 bring whatever I have problems with here and will try to have done
63 some homework and to expound the problem as best I can. Hopefully
64 better on both counts than this go around.
65
66 Please, Mr. Sargent, before you high horse yourself even further into
67 a corner, and end up looking even more like a bozo, consider these
68 comments and those below.
69
70 ------- --------- ---=--- --------- --------
71
72 Maybe someone, will still read my query and give it some thought.
73
74 My idea starts with the premise that it ain't the KVM.
75
76 Because some users are livid as to how faulty KVMS are does not make
77 that the problem here.
78
79 In this case it would take a fair bit of diddling around to do a
80 direct hook up since the kvm is DVI based and I'd need an adaptor I
81 don't have (other than the one built into the KVM cables).
82
83 OK ------- --------- ---=--- ---------
84
85 Now this whole problem may have taken care of itself in an unexpected
86 way.
87
88 My niece, for whom I'm building this machine has informed me today
89 that she really really hates trying to run linux and wants to get on
90 with her work with tools she knows.
91
92 Exit the gentoo install, enter an old XP disc I'm now trying to
93 install.
94
95 I am sorry for the line noise but it still may come to it that I end
96 up bringing that problem here again. Mr Sargent may get another
97 chance to bristle and show his teeth.