From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: no keyboard on fresh install
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 21:03:58
1 On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> writes:
3 >
4 >> On 1 June 2012, at 09:33, Harry Putnam wrote:
5 >>> ...
6 >>> I am running thru a kvm switch, but don't really have the option
7 >>> without a fair bit of juggling to try it with everything hooked
8 >>> direct.  I have tried plugging a keyboard direct, with no result.
9 >>
10 >> I don't really understand. You can't try direct, you tried direct. Which?
11 >>
12 >> KVMs are just flakey sometimes.
13 >
14 > Perhaps if you consider that KVM is a switch that controls several
15 > components, (keyboard, Video and mouse) it will come to you.
16
17 Back when my KVM was just a mechanical switch that flipped between A
18 and B, and only switched VGA, a serial port and a mouse, that was
19 true.
20
21 For years, though, KVMs have tended to man-in-the-middle USB keyboards
22 and intercept key sequences in order to control switching behaviors.
23
24 Being the man in the middle is _very_ tricky, and it's highly unlikely
25 kvm manufacturers get it perfect. At the very least, it's still
26 intercepting keystrokes, which means that your input is either funkily
27 jittered as it buffers looking for a combo, or it means that your
28 input is incomplete.
29
30 I'm not saying that the KVM is necessarily the source of your problem.
31 I'm saying it's a far more complex device than you envision it to be.
34 > You are at liberty to plug a second keyboard into a USB port.  I have
35 > done that under certain condition in the past and did try that
36 > unsuccessfully, as reported, this time.
37
38 Makes sense.
42 >> As discussed at:
43 >> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/223068
44 >> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/252806
47 > I'm not buying the idea that flakyness rules with KVM.  There may be
48 > flakyness BUT based on my own experience of yrs of KVM use running
49 > gentoo, debian and few tries at a few other distros... always with a
50 > kvm, and currently am running debian on one of the other kvm boxes on
51 > my current setup.
52 >
53 > I should be quite a good test case.  Someone, not all that bright, nor
54 > very competent and yet I've been able to run linux, windows and
55 > solaris all on various KVMS for a period of several yrs.... I'd guess
56 > at least 7 yrs.
57 >
58 > There were problems from time to time but none that prevented me
59 > continuing to run with a KVM after a pause, sometimes a good one
60 > to get things working.
61
62 I get it. You fancy yourself an expert on KVMs. Do you realize that
63 KVM hardware is liable to be around as diverse as GPS and serial
64 dongle hardware? That's pretty significant.
67 >> I'm inclined to agree with Hinnerk - if the keyboard is recognised
68 >> by BIOS then it's Linux problem
69 >
70 > I hope so too, that would be nice.
71
72 Seems likely, given that you tried plugging the USB keyboard in
73 directly without the KVM connected to a USB port. (You did, didn't
74 you?)
78 >> However, if you're having keyboard, video or mouse problems and a KVM
79 >> is in the chain then you *always* remove it as the first step.
80 >
81 > No that is not the case.  As indicated in OP, there is NO mouse
82 > trouble.
83
84 "keyboard, video _or_ mouse problems." And he's been trying to offer
85 you advice on diagnostic procedure. And the advice makes sense at its
86 core; simply the system as much as possible, then add pieces back
87 until something breaks. The more you grant utmost confidence or
88 assumptions about a component or behavior, the more things boil down
89 to errors you think were "impossible."
92 >> Don't come to us saying "I have this problem and just to confuse the
93 >> issue it could be the KVM" (something we're unable to help with),
94 >> instead say "I originally tried with a KVM, but having removed it,
95 >> that makes no difference".
96 >
97 > I guess you've been elected to the post of Sargent at arms in my
98 > absence.
99
100 Here, again, he tried offering you advice on how to present your
101 problem in the clearest way possible, maximally avoiding confusion,
102 and you've only taken offense.
103
104 [snip irony]
105
106 > -------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------
107 >
108 > Maybe someone, will still read my query and give it some thought.
109 >
110 > My idea starts with the premise that it ain't the KVM.
111
112 For certainty's sake, have you tried plugging the keyboard in directly
113 without the KVM plugged into the USB port? I don't think it's
114 particularly likely that the problem is the KVM, either, but I do see
115 it as a plausible source of interference if both devices are plugged
116 into separate ports.
117
118 USB normally handles multiple USB keyboards just fine, but I don't
119 know how your BIOS's 'legacy' support handles it, and there have been
120 rumblings in areas of multi-user workstations lately, so it's
121 plausible things are changing.
122
123 And, again, there's the potential of the KVM having a faulty
124 implementation of USB HID proxy behavior.
127 > Because some users are livid as to how faulty KVMS are does not make
128 > that the problem here.
129
130 (Again, nobody was trying to pin the blame on the KVM, they were
131 trying to verify that the problem _wasn't_ the KVM).
134 > In this case it would take a fair bit of diddling around to do a
135 > direct hook up since the kvm is DVI based and I'd need an adaptor I
136 > don't have (other than the one built into the KVM cables).
137
138 We get it; removing the KVM completely from the loop is a PITA, and
139 you've convinced yourself it's not worthwhile.
140
141 I assume it has multiple USB plugs, one for each upstream computer.
142 Can that KVM power itself from a USB port other than the one it's
143 currently passing keyboard input to? (I assume so, or you'd have to
144 work around state loss issues when switching between upstream
145 devices.)
148 > OK -------        ---------       ---=---       ---------
149 >
150 > Now this whole problem may have taken care of itself in an unexpected
151 > way.
152 >
153 > My niece, for whom I'm building this machine has informed me today
154 > that she really really hates trying to run linux and wants to get on
155 > with her work with tools she knows.
156 >
157 > Exit the gentoo install, enter an old XP disc I'm now trying to
158 > install.
159
160 You chose the just about the absolute worst distro I can imagine for a
161 Linux newbie to have to cope with, and you gave a spectacularly poor
162 demonstration of setting it up. Technical hurdles happen, but with
163 Gentoo they really hurt when they do.
164
165 For your niece, I would recommend the LXDE variant of Ubuntu or
166 Debian; it has a look and feel very similar to Windows XP...right down
167 to keyboard shortcuts.
168
169 > I am sorry for the line noise but it still may come to it that I end
170 > up bringing that problem here again.
171
172 [ad hominem trolling snipped]
173
174 Incidentally, the BIOS setting you were probably looking for is either
175 "USB Legacy Keyboard" support, "USB handoff" or "OS Supports USB".
176 Something along those lines. Depends on the BIOS manufacturer and the
177 age of the system. And probably other things.
180 :wq