From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Console fonts revisited
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 18:36:11
1 Hello, Peter.
2
3 On Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 02:53:23PM +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > Hello list,
5
6 > Some time ago I was looking for a console font whose zero had no diagonal
7 > bar, because nowadays I find that makes it resemble an eight too closely.
8
9 It's horrible, isn't it?
10
11 > At the time I said I'd found a font editor called nafe, which had allowed me
12 > to delete the offending bar. At the time I was prepared to put up with all
13 > ASCII line characters being shown as ? marks - as used in many ncurses
14 > applications like the kernel menuconfig. I assume the editor had truncated
15 > the font file.
16
17 > Today I've revisited the problem and I've found a GTK font editor in the
18 > portage tree which has allowed me to do a proper job. It's x11-misc/gbdfed,
19 > which is simplicity itself to run. I wish I'd found it the first time! I'm a
20 > happy bunny now.
21
22 I found another way of editing these fonts: media-gfx/psf-tools. In
23 particular, it contains psf2txt, which converts a font to a readable and
24 editable representation, and txt2psf which converts the text file back
25 into a font.
26
27 I spent quite a long time playing with these programs back in September,
28 getting rid of that blasted zero stroke. Trouble was, if I got rid of
29 the whole stroke, it looked too much like a capital o, and if I got rid
30 of just the middle bit, there was a sort of "shadow S" going through the
31 whole character.
32
33 > Just an update in case anyone's interested.
34
35 And from me: somehow, in the end, I never got round to installing any of
36 the fonts I so painfully crafted. So I am still stuck with that nasty
37 slash through the zero. One of these days, maybe .....
38
39 > --
40 > Rgds
41 > Peter