From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Python vs C++ [was: Gentoo Rules]
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 14:00:51
1 On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 06:20:38 -0600
2 Dale wrote:
3
4 ...[snip]...
5 > I read a link provided earlier about Plaudis, (sp?). It seems that
6 > Portage has a lot of hacks in it, according to what I read anyway. Is
7 > that true? Also, is it being wrote with python hurting portage as for
8 > as the program itself? If it is, why are they not trying to switch to
9 > something else? If C++ is better, then putting off changing is only
10 > going to get harder as time goes on.
11
12 IMHO, python is a very nice object oriented language and C++ is no
13 better (unless you need particular features of the language). I
14 suspect C++ runs somewhat faster, but that's not the issue here. As I
15 understand, portage needs to deal with lots of special cases and
16 exceptions to the general rules for updating package. Special cases
17 and exceptions always lead to complications and messy code. Switching
18 languages doesn't help a situation like this.
19 --
20 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list