From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Rules
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 12:26:04
1 Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
2 > On Saturday 15 December 2007 20:00:54 Grant wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> The real blocker for features that I'd like Gentoo to support is
5 >>>> Portage. There is only 1½ people working on it and changing anything in
6 >>>> it is hard because Portage is a horrible mess. There's plenty of
7 >>>> activity in the tree but new desired features cannot be used in the
8 >>>> tree until Portage supports them. It also doesn't make matters better
9 >>>> that over the years all sorts of weird hacks (that now have to be
10 >>>> supported) have been added to the tree instead of waiting for proper
11 >>>> solutions. Most people who are capable of helping to improve Portage
12 >>>> just don't want to touch it.
13 >>>>
14 >>> Would you say that portage is the main block in the way of Gentoo's
15 >>> continued progress?
16 >>>
17 >> Actually I guess that's pretty much exactly what you said. I didn't
18 >> realize portage is where the problem lies. In fact, I thought we were
19 >> all still proud of portage I'm going to think about this some.
22 > It all depends on what kind of features you're interested in. The features I
23 > happen to be interested in requires ebuild changes (which means that me using
24 > another package manager doesn't help) *and* requires package manager support
25 > before said ebuild changes can happen. Therefore for me Portage is a
26 > blocker...
30 I read a link provided earlier about Plaudis, (sp?). It seems that
31 Portage has a lot of hacks in it, according to what I read anyway. Is
32 that true? Also, is it being wrote with python hurting portage as for
33 as the program itself? If it is, why are they not trying to switch to
34 something else? If C++ is better, then putting off changing is only
35 going to get harder as time goes on.
36
37 In case you can't tell, I'm not a programmer. Last time I did
38 programming, it was on a Vic-20. LOL
39
40 Just curious.
41