From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Thanks and bye for now
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 21:39:10
1 Norberto Bensa wrote:
2 > Quoting Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>:
3 >
4 >> It got worse with kernel 2.6.28, btw, especially mouse cursor movement.
5 >> It gets stuck and skips very noticeably. Fortunately, it's not a
6 >> point yet where I would describe it as unusable, but if the trend
7 >> continues, desktop will be totally unusable by 2.6.31/32 when doing
8 >> something that produces load.
9 >
10 > Oh pleeeaase...
11 >
12 > You have a broken system. Don't blame Linux for that.
13
14 Could be. But you don't know for sure :P
17 > $ uname -a
18 > Linux venkman 2.6.28-gentoo #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Dec 25 16:48:22 ARST 2008
19 > x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
20 >
21 > I'm currently compiling gcc-4.3.2-r2, I have no cursor lagging, stuck,
22 > or whatever. Everything is normal. Like if I were not compiling at all.
23
24 I've just emerged glibc (with -j2). It's especially noticeable with it.
25 Some source files, especially at the beginning of the build, are very
26 short and result in a lot processes getting spawned and terminated very
27 fast, along with files rapidly created on disk. Can you give glibc a test?
28
29 I've checked my config and can't find anything wrong. I have tickless,
30 preempt, 1000Hz, -O2, CFQ. The kernel is stripped off of everything not
31 needed.
32
33 Maybe it's due to fglrx? (ATI Catalyst driver.)