From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Precedence order of overlays
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 14:16:06
1 > I have several packages that I maintain my own ebuilds for, as it's CVS
2 > sources. I keep these in /usr/local/portage. As it happens ebuilds for
3 > these same packages are also in layman, and I have the relevant overlay
4 > enabled.
5 >
6 > So far it would appear that my local overlay is taking precedence over
7 > layman. I've read the layman docs and there is an option for
8 > precedence, but it seems to apply to layman only, and that's not what I
9 > want. The portage docs seems to be sparse on this matter of overlays.
10 >
11 > I want to guarantee that foo-9999.ebuild in /usr/local/portage will be
12 > emerged in preference to an identically named and versioned ebuild in
13 > layman. How do I do that?
14
15 If several overlays contain the same version of an ebuild portage will only
16 see the one from the overlay that is listed last in PORTDIR_OVERLAY. This is
17 why /usr/portage/local/layman/make.conf prepends layman overlays to
18 PORTDIR_OVERLAY rather than appending them.
19
20 > If I can't guarantee this, I'd also be happy bumping my ebuilds to
21 > foo-99999.ebuild, but I'd rather do it with a config option if
22 > possible.
23
24 Do note that portage will consider e.g. foo-20050101.ebuild a higher version
25 than foo-9999.ebuild.
28 Bo Andresen