From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] A little help for non-native English speakers
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2018 20:34:20
1 On Friday, 2 February 2018 20:05:21 GMT Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > On 02/02/2018 01:03 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > But its a bad habit which I will never get into!
4 >
5 > Couldn't you have said "…habit that I…" in the fact that you were
6 > referencing a specific habit, not just a generic place holder?
7
8 Nope. He said it's a bad habit. Then he said he'll never get into it. So
9 'which' was right; he was merely adding another thought, not limiting what
10 he'd said before.
11
12 It has nothing to do with place holders; it's about defining or not
13 defining. As Fowler made clear, though his later revisionists have watered
14 him down.
17 Regards,
18 Peter.