From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eth0 and eth1 unwanted autoconfiguration
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 02:21:56
1 quoth the Teresa and Dale:
2 > darren kirby wrote:
3 > >Hello all,
4 > >
5 > >Does anyone know why my eth0 (wired) and eth1 (wireless) interfaces are
6 > >getting started and autoconfigured at boot despite not being present at
7 > > any runlevel in rc-update?
8 > >
9 > >They are getting configured with the settings in conf.d/net, whether or
10 > > not eth0 has a cable plugged in, and whether or not the firmware is
11 > > loaded for eth1 (it is a PCMCIA device). Obviously, these settings are
12 > > bunk...
13 > >
14 > >I am not sure what info I should put here to diagnose this:
15 > >gentoo-sources-2.6.14-r5
16 > >baselayout-1.12.0_pre16-r3
17 > >
18 > >Again, net.eth0 and net.eth1 are not shown at _any_ runlevel when I run
19 > >'rc-update -s'.
20 > >
21 > >thanks,
22 > >-d
23 >
24 > Is it possible that you are running something that needs net and that is
25 > starting it? I know some things, like ivman and such, will start other
26 > services if they must be running for them to work.
27
28 I don't think so...
29
30 The only network related script in the default runlevel is 'net.lo'. syslog-ng
31 doesn't need network does it?
32
33 Could this be from hotplug or udev? I really don't see why they would start?!
34
35 > Just a thought. Is strange though.
36 >
37 > Dale
38 >
39 > :D :D :D
40
41 -d
42 --
43 darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
44 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
45 - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972