From: Sascha Hlusiak <saschahlusiak@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Jason Lynch <jason@×××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Idle Process Scheduling
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 21:40:41
1 Am Saturday 13 June 2009 07:46:34 schrieb Jason Lynch:
2 > I'm having a strange problem on my Q6600 that cropped up starting with
3 > the 2.6.29 series of the kernel, and is still present in 2.6.30.
4 >
5 > Essentially, at all times, I have four nice 19 processes running, which
6 > for the sake of this post, we'll call "dnetc". All four cores are
7 > utilized. At this point, if I start another CPU-bound process that isn't
8 > niced, it begins to take up an entire core. This is expected. What isn't
9 > expected, however, is that another core begins idling inexplicably. As a
10 > result, despite 5 processes currently available to run, only 3 are
11 > actually running at any given time (the non-niced process, and two
12 > instances of dnetc).
13 How do you know how many processes are running? What does 'top' say about CPU
14 usage and load? Maybe dnetc has two threads, which can each occupy a core, so
15 you have still 4 threads that are running, in 3 processes. You still should
16 get a load of 5 or higher.
17 You don't have a lot of IO load, do you?