From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A config file for the magical combo of....
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2018 20:04:42
1 On Sunday, 1 July 2018 19:54:49 BST Corbin Bird wrote:
2 > On 07/01/2018 12:05 PM, Andrew Lowe wrote:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > I'm trying to get a new computer working. I've decided to go the UEFI
6 > >
7 > > route but something is being a bit obstinate. Would anyone have the
8 > > combination of a Gigabyte motherboard, x470 Ultra, with an AMD Ryzen 7
9 > > 2700 CPU? Set up to run UEFI?
10 > >
11 > > I'm having all sorts of trouble trying to get things running and if
12 > >
13 > > anyone would happen to have a working kernel config for the above combo,
14 > > and is willing to share, it would be greatly appreciated.
15 > >
16 > > Regards,
17 > >
18 > > Andrew
19 >
20 > One small thing I noticed doing a Gentoo setup on UEFI ...
21 >
22 > The VFAT driver ( in UEFI ) never loaded until Windows was installed on
23 > a drive.
24 > Almost as if the driver was checking for Windows before loading ...
25 >
26 > Every attempt to do a Gentoo UEFI install FAILED, because the VFAT
27 > driver would not load.
28
29 What do you mean "would not load"? From the live ISO?
30
31 I had no such problem here on a bare metal install (no Windows) with
32 sysrescuecd. You have to make sure the sysrescuecd is booting in UEFI mode
33 before you proceed with the installation.
36 > So ... Windows setup UEFI just fine. Gentoo is using GPT/GRUB.
37 > Every time I boot, the "Boot Menu" gets used to choose the OS.
38 >
39 > Corbin
40
41 I am booting without a boot loader straight from UEFI as this not a multiboot
42 system. So, unless I interrupt it pressing F2 to get into UEFI menu, it will
43 boot into the default OS image, which is the latest I have setup with
44 efibootmgr.
47 Regards,
48 Mick