From: Fernando Meira <fmeira@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] what made portage go fast again?
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 13:35:24
1 On 11/1/05, Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
6 > >A really really dumb bit of code in Portage itself was changed. See the
7 > >gentoo-portage-dev list archives if you want technical details.
11 > Is that the same reason it was sticking at 50% or so? If so there is a
12 > thread about it on the forums too. I hope that fixed it. My old 200MHz
13 > machine got a heck of a workout. LOL It took 30 minutes to go from 49%
14 > to 51%. The rest wasn't much better. LOL
17 Yeah.. I sync'ed portage yesterday and still took forever to finish.
18 Although all the way is slow and painful, the worst part was indeed from 50%
19 to 52%.. these 2% take SOOOOOO loooooong....
20 You say that your old 200MHz took 30m? I'd say my laptop took "at least" 30m
21 yesterday to do it.. and it's a 2.4Ghz... I even think that each update gets
22 worst and worst....
23
24 Fernando