From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] which VM do you recommend?
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 06:45:47
1 Hi,
2
3 I've been running a Windows 7 (professional)guest with Virtualbox on my
4 GenToo system for some years.
5 But recently I have a broken network either due to Virtualbox or due to
6 some
7 (automatic) Windows updates.
8
9 The situation is more than strange.
10
11 Sometime using a backed up Virtualbox image the network seems to work
12 but only for
13 a very short time (some minutes?)
14
15 Windows error analyzing tools don't see any network problems but it
16 does not work.
17
18 Trying ping -n 100 <IP> only a few packets come back but with a large
19 delay (40-50 times
20 larger delay compared to ping on the GenToo host)
21
22 I've tried the most recent Virtualbox 4.2.16 as well the oldest one (in
23 the tree) which is 4.1.26
24
25 So probably it looks best to me to change to a different (free) VM.
26 What do you recommend?
27
28 Many thanks for a hint,
29 Helmut