From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] merging or fitting images together
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 01:08:48
1 On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 8:33 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > 120520 Michael Mol wrote:
3 >> as Philip later remarked, it turns out the lens was likely a 75mm prime
4 >
5 > The picture of the camera looks exactly what I remember,
6 > tho' there might have been different models with different lenses.
7 > It was a very good camera for its time.
8
9 I'll say! Based on that pic, other things you've said, and the
10 information I found[1], that's an Ikonta 521 B with a Tessar f/3.5
11 lens, which appears to have been a high-end lens. Meanwhile, all of
12 the lenses for that camera appear to have been 75mm; the big
13 difference appears to be f-stop, which has an impact on
14 depth-of-field/bokeh. And an f/3.5 lens isn't something your modern
15 DSLR's kit lens can usually do.
16
17 [1] http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Zeiss_Ikon_Ikonta
20 >> The leftmost portion will never look all that great,
21 >> as he captured the Sun setting behind a building
22 >> or maybe that's a water spot
23 >
24 > The Sun was indeed setting to the left at that time + date,
25 > but the bluish blemish is some sort of physical decay in the negative,
26 > which was stored in a cardboard box for  c 55 yr  without being touched.
27 >
28 >> If these source JPG files are scans of paper photos
29 >
30 > No, they're  2  overlapping scans of the same negative,
31 > whose size is  58 x 43 mm  =  2,3 x 1,7 inch .
32
33 Ah. Well, the same holds true; a higher-resolution scan of the source
34 image, stored in an HDR image format (such as 16-bit-per-channel TIFF,
35 16-bit-per-channel PNG, or OpenEXR) would ultimately give better
36 results. Any of the 16-bit-per-channel formats would increase the
37 available dynamic range (of the format, at least) by a factor of 16,
38 at least. (IIRC, JPEG models luminance in 12 bits, and, for monochrome
39 images, that's at least somewhat advantageous over 8-bit-per-channel
40 grayscale or RGB formats.)
43 >> Anyway, the final Hugin pto file is here: http://pastebin.com/gudxvAEa
44 >
45 > What is a 'pto' file ? -- I downloaded it & it's text.
46
47 It's a Hugin project file; you can load that file with Hugin. It
48 assumes the two source JPEG files are in the same directory.
51 >> And the final stitch is here:
52 >> http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2030/brum3068brum30702.jpg
53 >
54 > All Firefox gives me is a black window : can you check ?
55
56 Works on my system. It comes up all-black in geeqie, though; I had to
57 load it in Chrome. Also loads fine in Gimp 2.6.
60 :wq