From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Shell echo missing after ctrl+c
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 10:40:24
1 Kai Krakow wrote:
2 > Am Sun, 19 Mar 2017 04:12:38 -0500
3 > schrieb Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
4 >
5 >> Kai Krakow wrote:
6 >>> Hello!
7 >>>
8 >>> More and more of my Gentoo systems are exhibiting the following
9 >>> strange and unexpected behavior:
10 >>>
11 >>> After ctrl+c'ing out of programs like tailf, SSH password prompts,
12 >>> in the middle of a shell scripts, the shell echo is not restored -
13 >>> that is: If I type characters I no longer see the characters (but
14 >>> they are received and can be executed by "enter"). If experiencing
15 >>> this, I have to ctrl+c again to discard what I was typing, the
16 >>> blindly type "reset" to reset the terminal, then echo is enabled
17 >>> again.
18 >>>
19 >>> I'm not sure which update or configuration is causing this. It
20 >>> started out on our Gentoo servers some years ago (which I'm only
21 >>> SSH'ed into, no physical access), now since a few weeks, also my
22 >>> desktop machines are affected. I have no explanation for this.
23 >>>
24 >>> But maybe anyone?
25 >>>
26 >>> BTW: I know from the old times (some 15-20 years ago) that ctrl+c
27 >>> out of a program (i.e. rsync) that starts a subshell (i.e. ssh)
28 >>> that in turn shows a password prompt, will leave you with an
29 >>> echoless shell. But it shows up on almost any occasion now.
30 >>>
31 >> I don't have a solution but wanted to reply to say that this happens
32 >> to me too. I have a regular desktop running KDE. I use Konsole for
33 >> most of my command line activity. I've noticed that this happens
34 >> with a lot of programs. It has been happening so long, I thought
35 >> maybe it was the new way things are done. It is aggravating and
36 >> confusing at times.
37 >>
38 >> You are not alone on this. I'm hoping someone will post a fix.
39 > KDE with konsole here, too... But I don't think that's the common
40 > denominator. It's also happening from PuTTY in Windows.
43 I've likely had it happen on a regular console too. I have just got so
44 used to it, I don't pay it any attention. I suspect this is a deep
45 issue somewhere. Maybe even as low level as the kernel somehow or close
46 to it.
47
48 It will be interesting to see what it is tho. Given how long it has
49 been doing it here at least, it's going to be a old commit/change which
50 may be difficult to track back.
51
52 Dale
53