From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Shell echo missing after ctrl+c
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 11:01:54
1 On Sunday 19 Mar 2017 05:40:09 Dale wrote:
2 > Kai Krakow wrote:
3 > > Am Sun, 19 Mar 2017 04:12:38 -0500
4 > >
5 > > schrieb Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
6 > >> Kai Krakow wrote:
7 > >>> Hello!
8 > >>>
9 > >>> More and more of my Gentoo systems are exhibiting the following
10 > >>> strange and unexpected behavior:
11 > >>>
12 > >>> After ctrl+c'ing out of programs like tailf, SSH password prompts,
13 > >>> in the middle of a shell scripts, the shell echo is not restored -
14 > >>> that is: If I type characters I no longer see the characters (but
15 > >>> they are received and can be executed by "enter"). If experiencing
16 > >>> this, I have to ctrl+c again to discard what I was typing, the
17 > >>> blindly type "reset" to reset the terminal, then echo is enabled
18 > >>> again.
19 > >>>
20 > >>> I'm not sure which update or configuration is causing this. It
21 > >>> started out on our Gentoo servers some years ago (which I'm only
22 > >>> SSH'ed into, no physical access), now since a few weeks, also my
23 > >>> desktop machines are affected. I have no explanation for this.
24 > >>>
25 > >>> But maybe anyone?
26 > >>>
27 > >>> BTW: I know from the old times (some 15-20 years ago) that ctrl+c
28 > >>> out of a program (i.e. rsync) that starts a subshell (i.e. ssh)
29 > >>> that in turn shows a password prompt, will leave you with an
30 > >>> echoless shell. But it shows up on almost any occasion now.
31 > >>
32 > >> I don't have a solution but wanted to reply to say that this happens
33 > >> to me too. I have a regular desktop running KDE. I use Konsole for
34 > >> most of my command line activity. I've noticed that this happens
35 > >> with a lot of programs. It has been happening so long, I thought
36 > >> maybe it was the new way things are done. It is aggravating and
37 > >> confusing at times.
38 > >>
39 > >> You are not alone on this. I'm hoping someone will post a fix.
40 > >
41 > > KDE with konsole here, too... But I don't think that's the common
42 > > denominator. It's also happening from PuTTY in Windows.
43 >
44 > I've likely had it happen on a regular console too. I have just got so
45 > used to it, I don't pay it any attention. I suspect this is a deep
46 > issue somewhere. Maybe even as low level as the kernel somehow or close
47 > to it.
48 >
49 > It will be interesting to see what it is tho. Given how long it has
50 > been doing it here at least, it's going to be a old commit/change which
51 > may be difficult to track back.
52 >
53 > Dale
54 >
56
57 Not sure this will help, but none of my systems have this problem. urxvt,
58 xterm, konsole, terminology, all display anything I enter in the keyboard
59 after I have pressed Ctrl+c. I run enlightenment, or fluxbox, I have not
60 tried with the plasma DE yet.
61 --
62 Regards,
63 Mick