From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "EZ mode" vs "AP mode"
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 13:29:42
1 On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 20:38:48 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
2
3 > Z mode is  the smart dev acting as an accesspoint for the controlling
4 > phone app to connect - so it cant in that mode connect to anything
5 > else.  To reflash the firmware with something friendlier you can use EZ
6 > mode to flash esphome onto tuya devices using tuya-convert via a
7 > raspberry pi (needs to be a 32 bit OS ... I am using gentoo but is a
8 > lot easier with raspian).
9 >
10 > Tonight I decided to flash esphome onto some "brilliant smartplugs" but
11 > it isnt connecting - its a frustrating process :( but the apps usually
12 > work ok ... after multiple goes.
13
14 The tuya and similar devices used the esp8266 chipset, so you could flash
15 them with tasmota/espurna/esphome. Now they are switching to different
16 chipsets and none of the previous flashing methods will work.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 If such a program has not crashed yet, it is waiting for a critical moment
23 before it crashes.
24 -- Murphy's Computer Laws n\xB06