From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Simple SMTP to cmd-line MTA relay?
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 00:30:54
1 On 01/19/2018 04:58 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > That would require seperate outbound transports that are selected based
3 > on how the mail was read: smtp vs. /usr/bin/sendmail (the real one).
4
5 Okay....
6
7 > I get the impression from exim and postfix docs that outbound routing
8 > based on input method aren't possible (I may be wrong about that).
9
10 Depending on what exactly you're needing, I might be able to think of a
11 way to do this with Sendmail. - This may be one of the exceedingly
12 rare times that Sendmail's splitting MTA and MSA roles may actually be
13 beneficial (other than for the security reasons).
14
15 I'm going to need to ponder this.
16
17 > Unless it's possible to run two separate instances -- one to relay SMTP
18 > --> my_custom_sendmail_utility and one to hanlde outbound mail generated
19 > locally standard_usr_bin_sendmail --> SMTP.
20
21 That's certainly possible to do with Sendmail. Or at least it used to
22 be. Granted, it's annoying ... to make sure that the various queues are
23 separated.
24
25 I'm trying to think through this to see if there is a way to leverage
26 the existing separation between the MTA (which has the features for your
27 listening SMTP daemon) and the MSA (which I think prefers to talk SMTP
28 to a smart host, usually the local MTA).
29
30 Am I regurgitating this properly?
31
32 1) You want incoming SMTP connections to go out via your custom mailer
33 script.
34 2) You want messages originated locally and piped into $commandTBD to
35 go out via SMTP.
36
37 Would I be correct in assuming that the path and / or name of the
38 sendmail like script that interfaces with the Exchange server could
39 change if necessary? I.e. you could name it
40 /usr/local/bin/sendmail_to_exchange_gateway if you needed to.
41
42 Question: What name are your scripts currently calling to interface
43 with msmtp? - Can that name change if necessary?
44
45 I'm trying to juggle the various pieces as I understand them to see if
46 everything can work together.
47
48 Note: I'm not trying to push Sendmail. - I know I'm strange in my
49 predilection for it. - I'm simply trying to solve the problem (as I
50 understand it) with the tools that I know.
51
52 > Well I have several msmtp "accounts" set up and run multiple mutt
53 > configurations that use those different accounts for outbound mail.
54
55 The different accounts outbound may complicate things. Are those
56 accounts configured as part of msmtp? Or are they configured in the
57 things using msmtp?
62 Grant. . . .
63 unix || die

smime.p7s application/pkcs7-signature