From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Easiest way to block domains?
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 05:42:04
1 On 29 August 2017 07:38:42 GMT+02:00, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > I'm running a Core2-duo desktop from 2008 with 3 gigs of ram. I want
3 >to run it into the ground, not throw it away while it's still
4 >functional. With Gentoo optimization, pluse using ICEWM, it's
5 >generally
6 >snappy. But there are a few web pages that throw the kitchen sink of
7 >3rd-pary adservers+trackers. 178 unique servers for one web page will
8 >peg the load from the web browser to 150% of 1 cpu core. On a 2-core
9 >machine, that is bad. The browser is unresponsive for a few seconds at
10 >a time.
11 >
12 > I'm building up a rather large hosts file, but the adservers have a
13 >gazillion subnames for each domain, in a deliberate attempt to bypass
14 >hosts files. It would be more effective block entire domains. Is
15 >there
16 >a lightweight DNS server, or some iptables trick, or whatever, that'll
17 >block specified domains?
18
19 Look into proxy servers.
20 I think privoxy should be able to do the trick.
23 Joost
24 --
25 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.