From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Easiest way to block domains?
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 05:38:59
1 I'm running a Core2-duo desktop from 2008 with 3 gigs of ram. I want
2 to run it into the ground, not throw it away while it's still
3 functional. With Gentoo optimization, pluse using ICEWM, it's generally
4 snappy. But there are a few web pages that throw the kitchen sink of
5 3rd-pary adservers+trackers. 178 unique servers for one web page will
6 peg the load from the web browser to 150% of 1 cpu core. On a 2-core
7 machine, that is bad. The browser is unresponsive for a few seconds at
8 a time.
9
10 I'm building up a rather large hosts file, but the adservers have a
11 gazillion subnames for each domain, in a deliberate attempt to bypass
12 hosts files. It would be more effective block entire domains. Is there
13 a lightweight DNS server, or some iptables trick, or whatever, that'll
14 block specified domains?
17 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
18 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications