From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is it possible for F5 to delete all contacts in Kmail?!!!
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 21:03:43
1 On Thursday 17 Nov 2011 09:44:35 James Broadhead wrote:
2 > On 17 November 2011 08:56, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > +1 for dropping kdepim. I used to love kaddressbook and kontact (but a
6 > lot of that was enthusiasm about features that "were just around the
7 > corner"). I found that I was having consistent problems keeping my
8 > contacts between versions (fortunately, I had them all backed up as
9 > vcards in svn), and a number of other annoying bugs which the KDE devs
10 > ignored, and closed after a while.
11 >
12 > I just uploaded all my PIM stuff to Google Contacts, which actually
13 > adds a whole pile of functionality to other Google products that I
14 > didn't know existed (Addresses of my friends pop up in Maps, for
15 > example). Since I'm using Android, that made the most sense for me.
16
17 Thanks for your replies guys,
18
19 I know that kdepim is ropey and following some bugs on the upgrade from
20 KDE-3.5 I tried to wean myself off it by trying different mail clients. I did
21 not succeed. Nothing came close to it for my needs and wants.
22
23 One day I'll spend some more time/effort to learn the shortcuts for mutt.
24 Until then I'll have to be more careful with my backups and advise all of the
25 users who depend on my services to do the same!
26
27 I did not manually edit anything on the addressbook in question (and the user
28 in question would not know how to do that). I am told that she just pressed
29 the F5 button and bang! All contacts gone in an instant! To me this is
30 rather catastrophic as a failure mode and I cannot categorise this software as
31 anything better than amateurish. Of course I can't code, so I get what's
32 there for now ...
33 --
34 Regards,
35 Mick