From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 21:45:06
1 On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 5:35 PM, dhk <dhkuhl@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Lately I've been getting this MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE error.  It only happens
3 > when I'm logged into my home amd64 box from my office x86 box.  I use
4 > ssh -X ip.add.res.s to log in.  Everything seems to work and save fine
5 > except for the error message and not being able to run an x-application
6 > remotely.
7 >
8 > The first error occurs when I try to run an x-application remotely.
9 > $ jpilot
10 > Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
11 > (jpilot:16276): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: localhost:11.0
12 >
13 > The second error occurs after I exit a file from a text editor.
14 > $ vi file.txt
15 > Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
16 >
17 > I've been doing this for years without any problems and this probably
18 > started in the last month or so.
19 >
20 > I've seen a few things on line, but nothing that looks right.  I also
21 > don't want to run the xhost+ command.
22 >
23 > Any ideas?
24
25 I think you need to use xauth to check the permissions. Did your
26 remote machine name or something else like that significantly change
27 recently?