From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and HARD lock ups.
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 08:55:04
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 02:27:21 -0500, Dale wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> But again, it didn't lock up until AFTER I had a power failure. That
6 >>> was when all this started. If I hadn't had the power failure, I may
7 >>> not have had the lock ups to begin with. The root of this problem is
8 >>> what I am hoping to find.
9 >> It sounds like you need to start with qcheck -aBT and trawl through the
10 >> output, re-emerging anything questionable.
13 > This is what I got:
14 >
15 > root@fireball / # qcheck -aBT
16 > app-office/openoffice
17 > sys-auth/consolekit
18 > sys-auth/polkit
19 > net-nds/openldap
20 > app-misc/screen
21 > net-print/cups
22 > net-print/hplip
23 > sys-apps/dbus
24 > sys-apps/openrc
25 > dev-db/mysql
26 > kde-base/kdm
27 > root@fireball / #
28 >
29 > That hplip makes me wonder. I had issues with that thing before
30 > causing freezes, not lock ups tho. I should have expected openoffice
31 > to be on there tho. lol
32 >
33 > Hmmm. What you think about that list? Anything look suspicious?
34 >
35 > Dale
36 >
37 > :-) :-)
40 OK. I rebuilt all that . . . stuff plus a few others portage was
41 pitching a fit about. That would exclude openldap. See one of the
42 other threads on what happens when I try to compile that stuff. I'm
43 getting like Alan here. I'm tired and my nice shiny puter has a low
44 gloss spot. Grrrr. Anyway, I can compile again at least.
45
46 Let's think here. polkit, hplip really raises my eyebrows, dbus, mysql
47 are things that KDE uses and Fluxbox don't. I just wonder if one of
48 those could be corrupt or something. I use a slideshow for my
49 background. It usually locks up while setting up that thing. It scans
50 ALL the picture files or something. I assume it builds some sort of
51 data base which may use mysql. Still giving that hplip the evil eye
52 tho. I know for sure that caused issues in the past. I have had times
53 where I wanted to shoot that little . . . thing. lol
54
55 Still trying to finish the new install. I my not need it but still.
56 After it gets done, going to run memtest and try out that option 5. I
57 dunno either but I'm going to try it.
58
59 Dale
60