From: Jean-Baptiste Mestelan <mestelan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Installing via GRML
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 12:54:49
1 On 15/01/2008, Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> writes:
5 > > Hello,
6 > >
7 > > Over the last week, I read where many folks recommend installing
8 > > Gentoo using GRML.
9 > > Since I have a p3 (650Mz) system I'm installing to build a
10 > > small web server for a friend, I figured I check out installing
11 > > gentoo via GRML.
12 > >
13 > > Does anyone know of a wiki or simple guide I can follow to do this?
14 >
15 > Sure. http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml
16 >
17 > IOW: Use the original documentation. Chapter 2 is of course then
18 > of no use, for the most part. The thing about hdparm and user
19 > accounts is valid none the less, though.
20
21 I went through a new install process this week, using Kubuntu liveCD,
22 and indeed the original documentation applies OK.
23 Only one minor notice : the part about using 'mirrorselect' will not
24 work, as this tool will not included in an alternate liveCD, so you
25 will have to select the mirrors manually (check the syntax beforehand,
26 maybe).
27 Also, obviously, you will not be able to use genkernel and
28 automagically compile kernel (there could be other ways ?).
29
30 Cheers.
31 --
32 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list