From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] virtualbox - serial port
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 13:05:53
1 Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >On 09/18/12 07:07, J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 >>Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>I'm trying to configure virutalbox serial port, but I'm getting an
7 >>>error:
8 >>>
9 >>>NamedPipe#0 failed to connect to local socket /dev/ttyS0
10 >>>(VERR_ACCESS_DENIED).
11 >>>
12 >>>in "inittab" I have:
13 >>>c7:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS0
14 >>>
15 >>>is the above correct?
16 >>>
17 >>>In virtualbox - serial port
18 >>>Port Number: COM1
19 >>>Port Mode: Host Device
20 >>>Port/File Path: /dev/ttyS0
21 >>>
22 >>>What am I missing?
23 >>
24 >>Joseph.
25 >>
26 >>Do you have permissions set correctly to access the serial port
27 >normally (without virtualbox)?
28 >>
29 >>--
30 >>Joost
31 >
32 >The tty0 has permission:
33 >
34 >ls -l /dev/ttyS0
35 >crw-rw---- 1 root tty 4, 64 Sep 17 20:56 /dev/ttyS0
36 >
37 >Is the above correct permission?
38 >
39 >Thanks,
40
41 Those are default permissions. However those normally won't give a normal user access. You can change the permissions of that file/device to enable your user to have access.
42
43 I am typing this on my mobile and can't quickly tell you how to do that on a permanent basis. But for a quick change you can use 'chown' to change the owner to your own user.
46 Joost
47 --
48 Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.