From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gmail and that stupid spam filter. :-@
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 21:33:55
1 Hilco Wijbenga wrote:
2 > 2008/12/26 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
3 >
4 >> Sorry to say but I'm back. I set up that filter and checked the spam
5 >> bucket on webmail today. It had over 800 messages and some of them are
6 >> not spam.
9 > This is not an answer to your question below but I wanted to mention a
10 > few things that might help you (if you decide to stick with Gmail a
11 > bit longer).
12 >
13 > When you see spam in your inbox do you use "Report spam"? When you see
14 > valid email in your spam do you use "Not spam"? I found it learns very
15 > quickly what I consider spam and what not. I also tend to go through
16 > the spam folder whenever there's 10 or more messages there. That makes
17 > it easy and fast and 99% of the time it's a simple select "All" +
18 > "Delete forever". If you wait until there's 800 mails there you're
19 > bound to make mistakes and it's a big job to clean it all up.
22 Well, I'm on dial-up and that thing doesn't like my slow as crap
23 connection. Thanks AT&T for keeping your promise on getting use DSL.
24 Bit of sarcasm there in case you can't tell. Very few things are on my
25 crap list but they are one and close to the top. Anyway, using the
26 webmail thing is a mess. It times oout part way through loading the
27 page and all that crap. It took me a loong while to go through all that.
28
29 What I thought of doing is checking all of them then telling google none
30 of them is spam at all. Over time, it should not mark anything as
31 spam. Of course, that will mess up other people as well. Sort of hate
32 to do that but if it means I can get my emails, then it is a option.
35 >> Does anybody know of a way to disable this stupid thing? I'm
36 >> about to switch email addresses if I can't do something with this
37 >> thing. If you have no ideas on how to disable, what are some free email
38 >> servers that allow pop access?
41 > No idea.
44 Me either.
47 >> I always liked Google but this sort of pisses me off. No wonder people
48 >> say they sent me a card or something and I never got it. They are in
49 >> the spam bucket. Thought about marking them ALL as "not spam" and just
50 >> screwing their spam filter right up. Sort of a get even thing there. :-@
53 > Well, Don Quixote, I hope you'll forgive me for putting my money on
54 > Google anyway. ;-) :-P If you do decide to take on Google
55 > single-handedly ... keep a blog please, it should make for hilarious
56 > reading. ;-) :-)
57 >
58 > Cheers,
59 > Hilco
64 Well, even if I did, I would be switched by then. If I'm not getting
65 the service I pay for or expect, I move on. I may be switching ISPs
66 again before long too. I like to get online when I need to not when
67 they think I should. I also plan to keep my OS up to date even if it
68 means a 10 hour download. If they can't handle that, I'll find someone
69 who can. Already found my new ISP just waiting for word from my current
70 one. They claim it is unlimited but then put limits on it. Funny huh?
71
72 Who's Don? I never heard of him.
73
74 Dale