From: Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gmail and that stupid spam filter. :-@
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 21:09:08
1 2008/12/26 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
2 > Sorry to say but I'm back. I set up that filter and checked the spam
3 > bucket on webmail today. It had over 800 messages and some of them are
4 > not spam.
5
6 This is not an answer to your question below but I wanted to mention a
7 few things that might help you (if you decide to stick with Gmail a
8 bit longer).
9
10 When you see spam in your inbox do you use "Report spam"? When you see
11 valid email in your spam do you use "Not spam"? I found it learns very
12 quickly what I consider spam and what not. I also tend to go through
13 the spam folder whenever there's 10 or more messages there. That makes
14 it easy and fast and 99% of the time it's a simple select "All" +
15 "Delete forever". If you wait until there's 800 mails there you're
16 bound to make mistakes and it's a big job to clean it all up.
17
18 > Does anybody know of a way to disable this stupid thing? I'm
19 > about to switch email addresses if I can't do something with this
20 > thing. If you have no ideas on how to disable, what are some free email
21 > servers that allow pop access?
22
23 No idea.
24
25 > I always liked Google but this sort of pisses me off. No wonder people
26 > say they sent me a card or something and I never got it. They are in
27 > the spam bucket. Thought about marking them ALL as "not spam" and just
28 > screwing their spam filter right up. Sort of a get even thing there. :-@
29
30 Well, Don Quixote, I hope you'll forgive me for putting my money on
31 Google anyway. ;-) :-P If you do decide to take on Google
32 single-handedly ... keep a blog please, it should make for hilarious
33 reading. ;-) :-)
34
35 Cheers,
36 Hilco