From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Living in NGL: was: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 12:00:42
1 On Mon, Dec 19, 2022 at 12:11 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > If I like these Raspberry things, may make a media box out of one. I'd
4 > like to have a remote tho. ;-)
5
6 So, I've done that. Honestly, these days a Roku is probably the
7 better option, or something like a Google Chromecast or the 47 other
8 variations on this them. Keep in mind that low-powered devices like
9 ARM SBCs (or Rokus) are very picky about codecs. If you're running
10 something like Plex the software will offload the transcoding to a
11 server when the codec isn't supported by the player, but if you're
12 doing something more DIY then you need to ensure your library conforms
13 to the specs or your player will just die. Even 1080p can be pushing
14 it for software decoding on an ARM SBC, and forget 4k. Heck, realtime
15 software transcoding 4k is pretty hard on most amd64 servers as well -
16 they will do it but it will use a significant amount of CPU just for
17 one stream.
18
19 These days I'm using Pis just for moosefs storage, and all the
20 compute-heavy stuff is on amd64. For players I just use TV clients or
21 Rokus plus Plex server on amd64. I don't really get any benefit out
22 of completely DIYing the client side and LIRC is a PITA.
25 Rich