From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Living in NGL: was: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 05:11:37
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 4:53 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> It took some digging around but I found out it is a AMD Phenom 9750 quad
4 >> core.
5 > You might want to hook a Kill-a-watt to that and see how much power it
6 > uses. Those older AMD processors were really inefficient.
7 >
8 > One thing I've come to appreciate with anything that runs 24x7 is to
9 > consider the energy bill to run things. That's why the bulk of my
10 > storage is running on ARM SBCs. Those things use almost no power when
11 > idle, while even a modern amd64 system will often use more at idle
12 > than an ARM will at full load.
13 >
14 > Most of the newer CPUs are MUCH better in performance per watt as
15 > well. A server that uses just 50W 24x7 costs about $65/yr (and I have
16 > pretty cheap electricity due to a 1yr contract - odds are it costs
17 > quite a bit more for most of this list). That's a fairly significant
18 > amount of money so it can pay to optimize things, especially if you
19 > replace what was a power-hungry performance CPU from 10 years ago with
20 > a lower-end CPU from today that probably has double the performance
21 > for 10% of the power draw. Obviously if you want bleeding edge the
22 > electricity bill won't cover the up-front costs, but lower end CPUs
23 > are very cost-effective and efficient compared to really old systems
24 > that people tend to use for these kinds of projects.
28 My UPS has a power meter thing on it which is pretty close.  It shows a
29 little over 100 watts for rig and monitor to when running.  Given it is
30 winter time here, I don't mind the extra heat.  It's either the puter or
31 a heater.  Given the forecast, I'm considering a emerge -e world pretty
32 soon.  lol  This NAS box won't run 24/7 tho.  I'll run it when I update
33 backups then shut it down and maybe even move it to a out building.
34 Once I build a Raspberry thingy, I may have one as a 24/7 NAS box and
35 take some load off my main rig.  That I would like to have more
36 efficiency with.  That's for later tho.  First, I want to build a small
37 one that will fit in my fire safe.  Of course, I still want a larger
38 safe so that maybe I can have a 6 bay NAS box.  I wish I could find a
39 commercial or bank type safe that is used.  If it isn't to heavy.
40
41 I still remember my old AMD 2500+ single core rig.  That thing pulled
42 over 400 watts idle.  If I was compiling a lot and all the fans were
43 running plus hard drives were busy, it would pull even more, close to
44 500 watts or something.  It's been a while but I remember winters were
45 nice but summers made the A/C run a good bit longer.  Thing is, my
46 current rig is much faster, likely 10 times faster, and pulls less than
47 200 watts even if at full power plus I have a LOT more hard drives.  It
48 goes to show, you can't measure computer power by what it pulls from the
49 wall.  :-)
50
51 If I like these Raspberry things, may make a media box out of one.  I'd
52 like to have a remote tho.  ;-)
53
54 Dale
55