From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lvm problem -- is timing?
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 07:32:09
1 On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 20:12:01 -0600, Maxim Wexler wrote:
2
3 > Ok, I did it! No more LVM! Wiped the SSD and made one partition out of
4 > it. Mounted it on /mnt/gentoo and unpacked the stage3 tarball. Silly
5 > question: now what? Where do I mount the SD card prior to unpacking
6 > portage? Do I make separate partitions on the SD card for each dir I
7 > need /usr /var /tmp etc? The natural place would seem to be on
8 > /mnt/gentoo/usr, but what about the other dirs? I should know this;
9 > I've done it often enough, but only when the other drive held a
10 > different OS or was strictly for storage. It probably seems obvious to
11 > you, but I can't see it.
12
13 I'd put /home and /var on the SD card to start with, you may need to
14 put /usr/src on there too or your SSD may fill up when installing or
15 compiling a second or third kernel.
16
17 I'd also move the portage tree there, but you can do that
18 post-installation by moving /usr/portage to /var/portage and changing
19 PORTDIR in make.conf.
20
21 Mount the partitions in the relevant places for installation,
22 /mnt/gentoo/var etc.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 Oxymoron: Clearly Misunderstood.